05 May 2014

Spring Has Sprung 10 Mile Run - Follow-up - 5 May 2014

I've found myself analyzing everything that went in to the race yesterday, and thinking about what I want to do next, in terms of running, fitness, and mountains.  I want to keep the momentum going, and I want to push myself.  Here are my thoughts:
  1. Conditions permitting, my next few long runs are going to be trail runs up mountains.  There are a few options within half an hour's drive, and many more within an hour's drive.  I need a break from pavement.
  2. As much as possible, I'd like to get my kids and the rest of my family out for a run or hike each weekend.  It doesn't have to be long, and of course they have input into it.  We've had a lot of fun on the outings we've done so far this year, and I'd like to keep it up.
  3. I'd like to attend as many of the Adirondack Runner's and Saratoga Stryder's 5K fun runs this spring and summer as I possibly can.  The Adirondack Runner's series is up in Cole's Woods, starting tomorrow, and the Stryder's series is at Camp Saratoga, starting in June.
  4. I need to choose one race to focus on.  In my head, I am flipping between several possible races, but I know myself, and I know that if I don't pick one, I'll just keep flipping until it's too late.  Possibilities include the Savoy Mountain Trail Race (15.2 miles), the Saratoga Palio Half Marathon, the Moreau Lake 15k, the Hairy Gorilla Half Marathon, and the Greylock Road Race (8 miles).  That last one is coordinated by Bob Dion, which might very well be the Bob Dion, of Dion Snowshoes.
  5. I need to commit to dropping weight, which at this point just means a few dietary Blerch-itarian tweaks, and maintaining a similar amount of weekly mileage.
  6. I need to find a better shirt for running in at a race.  I can't wear polyester, which eliminates a lot of options.  The wool t-shirt that I chose performed beautifully, but I didn't like the way I looked in pictures.  On long runs, this isn't a problem; no one is taking pictures, and I'm moving past the general public quickly enough.  With a race, there's a lot of standing around before and after.  If I could find something similar to the Schoeller fabric used on the Ibex Breakaway series, only lighter weight, I'd be all set.
  7. I'm going to continue my exploration of homemade portable foods.  Scott Jurek's Eat and Run offers a lot of good ideas, as does Matt Frazier's (et al.) No Meat Athlete site.  I'm also going to bring back (and post) my homemade sports drink formula, which I've used successfully on several High Peak adventures, and doesn't mess up my stomach the way commercial ones do.
  8. Speaking of High Peaks, I can't wait to get back up there.  There's still enough snow up high to warrant snowshoes, and enough mud down below to close several of the trailheads, so it's going to be a month or two.  Once mud season is over, I'd like to complete my trip up Wright, and perhaps the rest of the MacIntyres.  It doesn't matter if it's a trail run or a hike, I just hate leaving things unfinished.  (The same goes for Pharaoh Mountain, and little Mud Pond in the Gunks.)
  9. I need to commit to stretching and strength training on a regular basis, primarily in the form of calisthenics and yoga.  So far this year it's been ad hoc.
  10. I'd like to volunteer at one race this year, and I'd also like to work on one trail crew this year, as well, to help give back.
That's about it, I think.  Until next time, be excellent to each other.

(You know, with my sign off, you would think that the Moreau Lake 15k would be a no-brainer.  The race has an 80's theme, and it looks like a lot of fun.  I was contemplating running it in cut-offs and a Ride the Lightning t-shirt, if I did decide to do it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment